Welcome! We would love to have you follow along in our journey, so feel free to choose an option in the right side bar. While you are there, take a look at some of the fabulous blogs that have become our cyber-mentors!

Friday, October 12, 2012

A little of our history

I had a reader to ask to know more about our history...how long we've lived here, etc. so I thought I'd just tell you! :)

I have actually lived here my entire life-minus my four years at college. My parents own this property. About the time Hubs and I were getting married and looking for a place to live, my parents were moving to be closer to the church my dad ministered. They offered to rent to us and we were thrilled to not have to go about the grueling search for a home.  That was ten years ago, and here we remain.  I love the idea of my children growing up where I grew up. My daughter even has my old bedroom.

So, you may be wondering why it has taken us so long to develop our homestead-which still isn't fully developed lol!  Well the answer is simple.  We simply didn't have the vision until recently.  Our almost-nine-year-old daughter is special needs (cognitive issues) and I home schooled her up to this year. We have an almost-three-year old son as well.  Between caring for my daughter and managing my own fibromyalgia, it was all I could do to make it through the day, let alone give much thought to the outside of our home.

Meanwhile, we have grown a garden every year we've been married. I help plant, but Hubs does most of the tending and picking and I preserve it. It works out well. After meeting and getting to know the special education program directors, therapists and teachers at the local public school, we enrolled our daughter (I'll call her Beauty) in second grade this year.  She is thriving so far and loves her teacher.  So, since she is in school during the day and our son (I'll call him Buck) is such a quick learner and good helper, I believe God placed it in my heart to homestead on a small scale.  I see it as my contribution to the family income; by saving us money and being more responsible stewards of what God has blessed us with.

There is a lot to do and we have a long way to go to get to the beautiful spot I envision it to be. My fibromyalgia is going to be a struggle, but I'll just take it one day at a time and trust the Lord for His wisdom, guidance and strength.  That's us in a nutshell!

Thanks for following along and, as usual, I love your comments, tips and advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment