Welcome! We would love to have you follow along in our journey, so feel free to choose an option in the right side bar. While you are there, take a look at some of the fabulous blogs that have become our cyber-mentors!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Freshening Up the Kitchen

Spring Fever always hits me a little early each year. Since Ky weather is incredibly unpredictable (it was 51 today but expecting snow tonight), I am hesitant to begin any work in my garden until the first week of March at the earliest.  However, we plan to grow lettuce this year so I guess I'll be starting a tiny bit earlier. My grandfather says he always plants his lettuce the last week of February, and since he's been doing this for most of his 89.5 years I figure he is an excellent resource. :)  But that isn't the subject of this post.

Spring Fever for me usually involves "feathering my nest", or freshening up at least one room indoors. This year is the kitchen. I was beyond tired of it and could not wait to give it a face lift.

Here's the before picture:
Don't ask me why it was that horrible green. It looked good in a country store, but not so much in my kitchen. After four or five YEARS of tolerating it, it had to go! (As you can tell, a certain 3 year old boy thought kitchen meant play room {smile})
Here is another shot, this time of my cabinets and sink. The door/drawer pulls were originally a really dark copper color (from the seventies, need I say more?) that I painted white on a whim.

 Now here are pics of my "new" kitchen:
 I don't know if you can tell (above), but I spray painted the pulls a silver. I was pleased with how they turned out.
The big open wall with the cubicle is our "school wall". I love how the dark beige, white and red compliment each other.The table was my grandmother's. In the bottom right corner you can glimpse something white. That is an old table that belonged to my other grandmother. I use it to fold laundry.
Curtains found at "the getting' place" otherwise known as Walmart, lol. The white cabinet was my other grandmother's (the same whose folding table I have); I have not painted it which means it was last painted who knows when. She died 24 years ago. You can't really tell in this picture, but it has the authentic crackled paint look which, to me, screams farmhouse. The little chicken decals on the door are "Wallies", decals made and applied like wallpaper. Simple and cute.

So that's it! My simple country kitchen.  I would love to put down a cork floor, but that just isn't in the budget this go around.

Do you get the itch to freshen up and redecorate this time of year?

6 comments:

  1. Your makeover looks great! Isn't it amazing how different a coat of paint can make a room look? I usually get the urge to renovate in early summer...I'm a teacher, and when I'm done for the year I put all that nervous energy into my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am six months pregnant and getting to feel like nesting--so I completely understand! I love the colors of your "new" kitchen--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind the green for a country kitchen, but I have to admit the after photo does look bigger and brighter:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! It's amazing how a different paint color can completely change a room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks lovely....Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com



    ReplyDelete